No products in the cart
Vegan Caribbean Stew
When Southern cuisine meets Italian tradition, magic happens! This creative dish is sure to surprise you with much flavor.
1 hr 40 mins
Main Course, Soup
American, Indian, Mediterranean
- 1 Cup Brown Rice – Uncooked
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Jar Rosey Bloom’s Collard Greens Vegetarian Recipe Preferred
- 1 Package Frozen Okra 10 oz
- 1 Can Whole Peeled Tomatoes – Chopped With Liquid
- 1 Medium Chayote Squash – Diced
- 1/4 Tsp Ground Ginger More To Taste
- 1/4 Tsp Dill Weed – Dried More To Taste
- 1/4 Tsp Ground Cumin Or To Taste
- 1 Tbs Fresh Cilantro – Chopped Or To Taste
- 1 Can Kidney Beans – Rinsed and Drained 16 oz
- 1 Can Tomato Paste 6 oz
- All Purpose Flour As Needed For Thickening
Bring brown rice and water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer until rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed.
Place collard greens in large skillet and simmer for about 10 minutes. Drain.
Combine okra, tomatoes, and chayote squash in a separate large pot; bring to a boil and cook until okra has thawed.
Reduce to a simmer; season with ground ginger, dill weed, ground cumin, and cilantro to taste.
Add collard greens; simmer until flavors have blended, at least 40 minutes (1 hour for best flavor).
Mash kidney beans together with tomato paste in a bowl; add to the stew.
Stir in cooked rice and mix well.
Add a spoonful of flour to thicken, if desired
Adjust seasonings to taste.